Facebook’s penchant for selling your digital footprint to advertisers leaves your privacy at risk every day. The good news is you can fix that! The Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) offers a free tool that allows you to combat online peeping. It checks your computer to see what companies are targeting you with customized ads and allows you to opt out of the targeted ad for each of 177 companies participating with the DAA.
For more information, visit: Digital Advertising Alliance Consumer Choice Page. You’ll be able to:
- See all the participating companies and learn about their practices;
- Learn which participating companies have currently enabled customized ads for your browser;
- Check whether you’ve already opted out from participating companies;
- Exercise choice with some or all participating companies, using opt-out cookies to store your preferences in your browser; or
- Opt out from all participating companies in one step.
In the meantime, be careful about which ads and Facebook posts you click on when using the Internet and social media platforms. Big Brother is watching.